« Back to Blog August 3, 2021

How to Get Your RSA

How to Get Your RSA

What is an RSA?

Before working anywhere in Victoria that serves alcohol, such as a bar or bottle shop, you must first complete Responsible Service of Alcohol training (RSA).

RSA training teaches students about relevant liquor legislation when serving and selling alcohol. It also explains the problems associated with excessive alcohol consumption and provides strategies to refuse service and prevent problems before they occur.

How to obtain a Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate

RSA training can be completed over the course of four hours on a single day. MSA Training and Professional Development now offers the training over Zoom, meaning it can be easily completed from home.

There are no prerequisites for completing this course, all that’s required is a computer and internet connection to join the Zoom classroom and complete assessments.

After completing your RSA training with MSA Training and Professional Development, students receive two certificates.

A certificate issued by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation can be used to serve alcohol in Victoria.

Students also receive a certificate for the unit of competency SITHFAB002, the nationally recognised qualification for RSA.

After obtaining your certificate

RSA certificates need be updated every three years. This can be achieved by completing refresher RSA training before your certificate expires.

There are also several other courses available which compliment the RSA and employability in the hospitality sector.

MSA Training and Professional Development offers courses for food safety, bartending and cocktails, professional waiting skills, and barista essentials.

Alternatively, all these courses can be completed together in a six day intensive hospitality bundle, fully preparing you for work in the hospitality industry.